7/12/07

Book Reviews; Summer Reading

This book was a bit disturbing. I didn't know anything about it other than it was recently made into a screenplay to be made into a movie sometime in the next year.
I liked the writing style but the writing subject was the thing I couldn't get past. It won't be a movie I'll want to see and because I can't ever recommend anything disturbing to read- I'm giving this a one-star out of ten.
Oh,how I love this author! She is one of the greatest story tellers of all time.Yes, this is a child's chapter book & a bit juvenile-but is so thoroughly enjoyable. The situations faced by the Moffat Family-Mama, Sylvie, Joey, Jane, Rufus (Papa passed away) -not only give a glimpse into a simpler era, but also remind the reader that the important things in childhood never really change. Though the stories are set many years ago, the basic problems faced by the Moffat children are timeless.

This is a fun little summertime read. Perfect to pick up and read in an afternoon, between innings at a baseball game, or to keep in the car for those times of waiting during taxi service.

I read this every couple years or so. Just to remind me that it's good to slow down...to make some applesauce or bread, to teach my girls how to knit or crossstitch, or go on a picnic.
The author has said that the adventures in this book reflect her own childhood.
Any and all Eleanor Estes books are amazing. My other favorite by her: One Hundred Dresses

Rose Campbell is sent to live at the "Aunt Hill" with her six aunts and seven rowdy boy cousins. For someone who is used to a girl's boarding school, it all seems pretty overwhelming. But with new scenery, fresh air, & good old-fashioned fun she starts to have some true happiness after the death of her parents.

The language is a bit flowery and difficult at times, but a story that is sweet & timeless.

So wonderfully Louisa May Alcott. I think it's some of her best writing.

Pure, lively, & descript.

I liked it. It has the perfect message for any girl of any age: Be Yourself.

I was first told about this book years ago and since then about 5 other people have talked it up so I finally read it. Hmmmm. While interesting, I thought it a bit overrated.

It is the ficticious story of Dinah, daughter of Leah, who is the daughter of Jacob. While these biblical characters are real, the author takes huge liberties on their lifestyles & histories.

I did enjoy it on many levels. Especially the latter part of the book when Dinah moves to Egypt.

Diamant does a good job in the character building and at the end of the story you do feel as if you know the main character. I liked that aspect.

I wonder if I would have liked this book more had I not heard others rant and rave over it. Hmmmmmm.


0 comments: