2/22/08

Because Every Kid I Know Is In Music Lessons Of Some Sort

Last night I attended the local high school's talent show on account of that my kid was in it.
They held the talent show as an evening event. I'm certain it's because at our high school the student count is upwards of 2300 and the auditorium seats 922 and they'd have to do the same show 3 times to accommodate. The auditorium was packed, a mixture of sorts, mostly students with a splashing of parents and siblings and faculty members.
The smell hit me as I took my seat. potent blend of pickles and B.O.
I would have gladly traded my freshly styled hair for a collective shower to rid the stank. After a few minutes I got used to it and it wasn't too bad.
a rundown of some of the more memorable acts & happenings of the evening
1.Kick Butt Karate girl, complete with spear, music and black belt.
2. 5 boys singing acapella: "For the Longest Time" by Billy Joel. It always baffles me when the skinny little dude sings bass. They had great harmonies. Good stuff
3. a band. a devil band. a loud, screaming, headbanging devil band. as soon as I didn't think I could take it anymore they stopped.
about this time I started noticing my surroundings and the things that were taking place. kids EVERYWHERE texting on their phones (even though they were asked to turn off cell phones), a pimply, teenage couple two rows ahead seriously in love/touching/necking, an older couple taking out their ear plugs after the last act (SMART!, they'd been before AND paid attention), and chatting & popping gum all around me.
4. the next act consisted of 3 cowboys shaking their hips & singing a song I've never heard before and one I hope I don't hear again. It had some suggestive gay cowboy love lyrics and some high notes way out of reach. And one of the cowboys barely weighed 98 pounds. original for sure.
5. an excellent Cellist. playing a very colorful song.
6. "Baby Gangstas Hip-Hop Dancers" speaks for itself. oh. I forgot one thing. All girls.
7. Bagpipe player with a Celtic medley ending with Amazing Grace dedicating it to Gordon B. Hinckley. Beautifully done. I cried. A little.
8. shredding guitar solo by boy with long brown hair in face with a bright dyed red long goatee sticking out. yep. red. like red crayon red. gotta love the teenagers.
9. Saxophone boys playing "When The Saints Go Marching In". Good playin. Not so good song choice. Maybe for a crowd over 60. Or a parade.
10. a dang stinkin good band singing their own song with a lead singer as charismatic as Dave Grohl.
11. Tahitian Dancer/electric hips
12. Beatboxers who were so in love with themselves it made me puke a little.
13. my kid. piano/vocal medley. so cool.
an entertaining night for sure. And my sweater I wore smells like pickles.

5 comments:

Pedaling said...

i love going to these school events. especially high school ones where there is some real talent and entertainment. always the devil band is included - its ridiculous isn't it? your a people watcher like me, sometimes thats the best entertainment of all!

Pedaling said...

oh, what did your daughter sing?

100 Percent Cottam said...

sounds like fun! brings back cringe-worthy memories of my high school talent show performances. oh, the shame!

Becky, yep said...

I love high school events. I can't ever believe I was there, seems a world away.

Christina said...

Your commentary is so classic- totally the perfect description I'm sure. I felt like I was there just by reading your recap. The smell makes me glad I wasn't there. :)