8/1/08

Fruits of Labor

There have just been good people all over, harvesting & canning their little brains out.

Judi has been putting up jars and jars of jam this week, Amber tried her hand at Strawberry and is hoping she hasn't included botulism in her family's menu. And Peter. Well, he showed off his domestic skills once again and made apricot jam. Oh, and Stacy helped. A little. :)


Peter & Stacy gave us a call last week to let us know there were some scrumptious, very ripe apricots just needing to be picked in Peter's family's yard. Thanks, Peter!



So off the son went.
With a cute handled basket and my yellow gardening gloves. (sweet!)

He came back with warm, golden fruit and a big sweaty smile. (and a BIG icy drink from Sonic)
The rest of the afternoon E and I made 3 batches of fruit leather

and dried a huge batch of apricot halves in our food dehydrator.
The fruit leather was easy to make and got gobbled up in a hurry.
Yummy.

Apricot Fruit Leather
2 cups apricots, washed, pitted and halved,
3 T Honey (could sub sugar)
1 T lime or lemon juice (I tripled this) what?I like tart!
blend all of this in a blender until well blended. just hit the blend button. to blend.
prepare cookie sheet with plastic wrap evenly spread
pour blended apricot mix on plastic wrapped sheet and spread until evenly coated
set oven to lowest setting possible. mine was about 138 degrees when checked with separate thermostat. do not over heat.
I let mine sit in that low oven for 6-7 hours.
let cool completely and peel plastic off
I cut mine with a pizza cutter and rolled some, others I just stacked in squares.
TRY IT, baby!

9 comments:

Stacy said...

I just happen to have a bunch of apricots sitting in my crisper waiting for some love. I will for sure try this one.
Thanks.

Unknown said...

mmmm.
I must try the fruit leather.
You have been busy.

Pedaling said...

fresh apricots and fuit leather sound divine. i am so not domestic that way. i clean house and try to stay out of the kitchen, if possible.
but i often mooch off wonderful people like you.
way to go!

oh, and the amer. idol
i did that last year with amber in san diego- once was enough for me.
this year she went with shauna and even though i knew shauna needed a chaperone i sent her on her little way and told her to call me if she needed me.....knowing full well the odds of them getting through...aren't i a great mom?
i suck, i know. shauna ended up bagging it anyway and coming home early...she was tired, she takes after her mama that way.
it is good people watching, though.

Spin said...

very impressive
i should take up canning again and i love the fruit leather. BUT the day i lost control of the long tube and splattered the simnmering grape juice all over my nice light colored cabinets was the day the supplies all went into storage.
i do hit the cannery every now and then so i think maybe that counts

Becky, yep said...

okay...homemade fruit leather is a favorite of mine! I'll be givin' your recipe a try next week! I'll let you know how it goes!

Judi said...

I never had good luck with my dehydrater. Then Ryan gave it to DI. Oh BTW--at least 75 jars of jam!!!

rachel said...

Yum, looks like your fruit leather turned out perfectly! I made my first homemade peach jam lastyear with my in-laws peaches....I can't wait to have my own garden someday :)

Laurie Meredith said...

Can't wait to try the fruit leather recipe...looks delish

Misty said...

YUM, YUM & YUM!