12/19/08

Baby Steps


It's that time of year again. I am running on mere fumes. Low in the energy/patience/I. Like. Life. tank.

I wanted to make a to-do list of sorts, to remind me that the best thing I can do in the next week is have a heart more full of love, peace & hope. Like a little Merry Christmas to all the people I come in contact with. Espesh the family.


1. Smile at people. I have inherited the Hill family scowl and so even though I think I am smiling, I am not. Many times my kids will ask, "What's wrong mom?" I say, "nothing, it's just my face.

2. Help someone out. Whether it's the crying kid, the lady with ten-zillion packages or the man on the scooter at the Walmart.

3. Give what I can. Our money is as tight as it's ever been. Still. I can do this.

4. Look people in the eye. This is really for those checkers, waiters, etc. that are working long hours this holiday season. Say have a good day, good luck, hope you're off work soon. And mean it.

5. Be Optimistic. Sing a little Bing, remember the reason for the season, rejoice.


16 comments:

rychelle said...

these are great little reminders.

merry christmas!
(i'm looking you right in the eye and smiling right now. and i mean it)

Kristina P. said...

Great ideas! These are things we can all do that don't cost money or really, anything special.

Pedaling said...

things we all need to remember. thanks for reminding me!

Kellie said...

I think that is a great reminder. I need your address for a card, please.

Marilyn said...

Thanks for sharing and helping us remember what's important. I think we are all hanging by a thread these days. Merry Christmas!

Amber said...

This is exactly what everybody needs to experience - from both sides!

Love you to bits and pieces!!!

rachel said...

Love that list...we could all stand to up our game in these departments (me for sure!). Thanks for the reminder.

100 Percent Cottam said...

i have that same face! :)

Sarah said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. What a wonderful family you have. Do the garland thing next year...I stressed myself out trying to shove it in before Christmas!

kelie said...

Okay, okay. I'll try ONE thing on your list...but just ONE, I wouldn't want to be TOO merry. ;)

September said...

I have that scowl too.
People are always asking me what's wrong. Good plan to make a concious effort to smile more :)

Unknown said...

One day I will get Botox...I have scowl lines on my forehead...hate them. :-)

Love your list. Great reminders.

Elder Logan Cottle said...

Yes, Yes, and Yes. I agree and you have motivated me to do all of the same things this next week!

Merry Christmas my dear friend!

CoLiE-O said...

we all need a little reminder...thank you. i'm gonna make an effort to try out your list..

Omgirl said...

I need to add "be more patient with my kids" to that list. I tend to take out my frustration and stress on them. I'll be at my wits end and snap at them when it really isn't their fault. Thanks for the reminders to make the season more loving.

tiburon said...

All good reminders. Thanks!