2/27/09

Google University



I'm slow to catch on to trends simply because of trust issues. In the 80's I trusted the mullet and have spent years trying to recover.


Because of this wonderful girl, I recently signed up for Google Reader. (GR)


I know, huh. Should have done it long ago.


See first sentence.




I made a pro/con list. (thanks, Rory)


and came up with a few I'd like to discuss with you seasoned vets.






Pro


1. Nice to go to a blog and not see the Christmas update in February. Again. For the fourteenth time. I am fully supportive of the monthly updater, just more so now with GR.




2. Fun to just clickety-click and see all my favorite peeps and their stuff in one window.




3. Love that I can star great posts that I want to draw from later. Like that one post from Tib that made me want to be a better human being. Or the one from Amanda that makes me want to package up gorgeous looking balls. Or even the one from the over-achiever that made handmade gifts for everyone this past Christmas. You know who you are.




4. I like shared items on my favorite blogs. You seem to like what I like. Thank you for doing that. I plan to do it too. Really easy with GR.






Con


1. Anyone else comment less on GR? Sorry. Still reading. Still loving ya.




2. I miss going to some blogs with cute sidebars and headers. Still do sometimes, but less inclined. You?




3. Wow. Items to read really can stack up in there. Feels like a to-do list if there is too many. Just what I need.

10 comments:

September said...

I had the sidebar issue too. I have a friend who posts the funniest things on her sidebar and it took me a month or more to realize I was missing out on that. So, I've stopped using GR and just stick with igoogle now.

tammy said...

It does feel like huge to-do list. I love getting my google reader number down. I still do comment on most of the blogs I read. So you better too!

Pedaling said...

love the reader.
i read, blog and comment less these days.
but still always do on my most faves and those who comment on mine.
and it is when i comment that i actually go to the blog and can see the sidebar and all of their cuteness.

tiburon said...

I use the Google reader to keep track of what I need to read - but I still feel like I need to comment.

I am a freak.

And seriously? A post from ME that made you want to be a better person.

You must have me confused with someone else...

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Yay Suzie, you are going to love it! You can still link over the same. I like to think of GR like I'm flipping through a magazine. Don't feel overwhelmed by it, just scroll through the ones you just like to look at and make a folder of the ones that you like to comment on. Also in addition to starring posts, you have to try tagging posts in GR it has helped me organize posts I like into different categories. Like my new favorite category is "want list", it's where I put all the things I want...so fun!

ps. I'm glad I helped, and you are wonderful! :)

Kristina P. said...

I have my feed set to only a half feed, so you still have to come to my blog to read the entire post. I'm tricky like that.

rychelle said...

i love the reader.

i don't think i would read as many blogs as i do without it.

Unknown said...

I was telling Erika all about it. Need to get her set up with Google reader too.
Seems to save me a lot of time that would be wasted...because reading blogs is NOT a waste of my time right? :)

Jokilyn said...

I'm thinkin' that the "Christmas posts in February" comment was for me. *sigh* Sorry about that - just trying to catch up. Should be almost current. :) I'll have to look into this GR thing - haven't heard of it before.

Omgirl said...

I still use the google reader, but I click on the actual blog to ree posts and comment; I don't read them in the google reader short list. that way I can still see the header and side bar.