4/7/09

Just one little adjustment


No one who knows me well, would argue that right now I have much to be stressed about.

I could make a heartbreaking saga of blog posts that would make my comment box swell with empathy and love from my friends.


But the fact is, I have so much to woot woot about!


Long lists of reasons to be grateful.

Paragraphs full from accounts of laughter.

Moments to remember.


One stands out from today.

My job requires me to read with students below their grade level.

I have been reading with one 8 year old practically every day for 6 months now.


He has struggled.

He has doubted himself.

He has hung his head feeling discouraged.


This past month something in that precious head of his clicked.

And he began improving & gaining confidence like crazy.


He passed his reading test this week.


He was grinning ear to ear.

He told me he is a terrific reader.

He showed me a stack of books he was reading.


And my world felt light, airy & wonderful.


14 comments:

Pedaling said...

oh, yay for teachers, helpers and women and men like you who encourage, help and nurture our children!

....and then live to tell about it! :)

Hayley said...

ah suzie - isn't that the best feeling? i love when it clicks for those strugglers... a whole new world is opened up to them. congrats to that kid. you're my hero.

whatever it is that you're stressed about - you're an amazingly strong woman & i know you can do it!

Kristina P. said...

This is great news! It's so nice to be able to see t he fruits of our labor, which in my field, happens to rarely.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

What a difference we can have in the lives of our youth. Great work and a great attitude you have.

100 Percent Cottam said...

YOU are wonderful. that is awesome.

Mindi said...

i wish that i could be back in elemantary so that i could have mrs. eagar read with ME!

you freaking ROCK, suzie. you know we are all behind you.

and for the record? i think you should write lots of sympathy posts and then we could start up a 'send suzie to hawaii' fund!

Anonymous said...

You are such a sweetheart. What lucky kids you have!

Tiffany said...

I really, really like you, Suzie.

rychelle said...

woot woot!

:)

Kim said...

Mom--Job well done! Hard work and dedication pay off! Congrats!

tammy said...

Oh I love seeing that look in their face. So worth it!!

Omgirl said...

I don't know why, but that just brought tears to my eyes! Oh wait, I do know why. PMS. But anyway, that is seriously wonderful. It's a great moment when someone finally achieves something they struggled with. So good of you to be there for him through that tough time!

The Drizzled Apple said...

I love you Suzie-Q! Thank you for doing that.. my Mason has been one of those kids. I couldn't be more grateful for those who have helped him find the courage to excel beyond his beliefs.

Laurie Meredith said...

Anyone who has ever been a teacher will tell you that is the number one, best thing about teaching...seeing the light go on when you've worked so hard with a kid. Congrats on doing a great job with him. I'm sure his parents appreciate all of your hard work.