7/14/10

This Space Begs For Material-Even Boring Material




My goodness. Blogging has certainly taken a back seat in my life.


As has about everything else. Except work.


It's wedding season and I have been a part of over 30 weddings in the last month.




A few facts about my job.




I am a Wedding Planner. Sounds oh so glam, right? Anything but.


I work for a company that not only does planning, but also provides many areas of service.




That means not only do I get to plan colors, favors, decor, food with a giddy, virginal bride,


I also get to plan & carry out the catering, flex my floral design muscles by doing bouquets, centerpieces & bridal line floral.


Help set up tables, chairs & tents.


Cut a wedding cake into 84 pieces.


Tie hundreds of chair sashes & iron linens.


50-60+ hours a week right now.




and by Saturday night I hurt all over & am so damn sick of weddings I could puke up ecclairs even though I could never, ever eat one.




It is rewarding, however.


My 2 favorite parts of the wedding reception are:


1- two minutes before start time.


Every thing is finished, food is on the table, bride & groom are married and anxious to see guests. Kitchen is running smoothly & not one kid has left the spigot on the beverage jar on or dropped a whole strawberry in the chocolate fountain.




2- the last moments of the reception. Garter & Bridal Bouquet toss.


Groom is usually nudging the bride to get on their way to the wedding night (hubba hubba), it's almost time for my take-down crew to whoosh in and save my aching feet.




Highlight of the month-groom in a kilt


Lowlight of the month-bride who thought I RUINED her wedding

13 comments:

Kim said...

I can relate with how the ole' body feels. Right now I'm getting ready to head to work wish there was a way to call in sick. My left knee is just killing me. Hopefully soon you will get a little R & R in order? Hang in there.

Vanessa said...

You need your own reality show to document all this!

hoLLy said...

sounds like megastress!! i couldn't handle that.

Kristina P. said...

I have always thought this would be my dream job, but I don't think I realize how much tedious work goes into it.

Judi said...

You are awesome Suzie!

Amber said...

Suzie - you're awesome. Someday, if you don't hate me (or end up killing me)for it, I'd love for you to do a party for me.

Your skilz and talents are amazing!

Pedaling said...

love it when you touch base!

sooo, how'd ya ruin the wedding. ;)

mCat said...

My son's two besties are getting married in a matter of weeks and so we are in the mode as well (not near your level), but I will say, I can't wait until they are OVER!!!

tammy said...

Oh how I wish you had time to share all the deets. I want to know how she thought you ruined her wedding too.

tammy said...

Oh and I like Vanessa's idea. Who do we talk to about that?

100 Percent Cottam said...

you deserve a medal, woman! i want to hear about how you RUINED A WEDDING!!! and then send the bride's address, so i can egg her house.

Kellie said...

Glad you are still alive. Sounds like you have a party everyday of the week:)It isn't possible for you to ruin any wedding, she must have been PMSing!

Unknown said...

I think you need to hire a personal secretary so you have some time to document. I see a book in the works. With your writing...I'd buy it for sure!

When does (busy) wedding season officially end anyway? Erika's itching to get out of town. :)