ok. so I know I know it's hard to believe that most of my life, even my adult life I have been a pretty good athlete. believe me, I look at my out of shape, overweight body & it's hard for me to believe. but really, I kicked butt on alot of courses, fields, courts, & road. I mean there was a stretch there not so long ago where Diane thanked me for not killing her in the racquetball court. I even let her win. once. and there was many a year when I dragged both girls & a hubby to the ball field four nights a week to play softball on a coed team where I held my own even if I was a GIRL. and a mom. I'll never forget beating EVERYONE IN MY WARD in a golf tourny in the year 1997. and I won't let you forget it either. technically it was within the last decade.
all of this reminiscing doesn't mean crap, I mean there is really no excuse for me losing my edge on the physical front. other than 5 pregnancies & all the emotional trauma of my life. but those really aren't good enough excuses. i'll have to think of better ones.
this is leading up to the events of last week when I took Keats & Emma to the batting cages at Mulligans. I got us all set up with a frickin pocketful of tokens, willing to spend a small fortune on The Future MLB National League Batting Champion of the year 2018 .
after 30 minutes of grueling batting practice, Keats finally said he needed a breather. He was so tired from all the yelling at the mechanical arm that didn't seem to know that HE WAS ONLY FIVE FEET TALL!
we let Emma have a go at it and she showed no fear whatsoever at the yellow balls aimed right at the top of her head going 35 mph. she has a mean swing and that's even without a bat.
all of this reminiscing doesn't mean crap, I mean there is really no excuse for me losing my edge on the physical front. other than 5 pregnancies & all the emotional trauma of my life. but those really aren't good enough excuses. i'll have to think of better ones.
this is leading up to the events of last week when I took Keats & Emma to the batting cages at Mulligans. I got us all set up with a frickin pocketful of tokens, willing to spend a small fortune on The Future MLB National League Batting Champion of the year 2018 .
after 30 minutes of grueling batting practice, Keats finally said he needed a breather. He was so tired from all the yelling at the mechanical arm that didn't seem to know that HE WAS ONLY FIVE FEET TALL!
we let Emma have a go at it and she showed no fear whatsoever at the yellow balls aimed right at the top of her head going 35 mph. she has a mean swing and that's even without a bat.
I contemplated my next move, not wanting to take all of the childrens fun away, I announced that I was going to give it a try. Keats gave me a look like YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING. The look was actually not quite that subtle.
The next look on his face was a mixed one, some of pride, some of alarm and all of HOLY CRAP!
yes, folks, I have not lost my batting ability and gave those yellow balls a serious ride. All 25 of them.
yes, folks, I have not lost my batting ability and gave those yellow balls a serious ride. All 25 of them.
on the way home I relished the conversation with my 13 year old son and the fact that he had new-found respect for his not -so-old mom enough to ask for batting tips.


0 comments:
Post a Comment