9/27/07

What's For Dinner? Slow Cooked Beef Stew



It was a mega busy day for me and I knew I wouldn't have time to prepare a meal at the dinner hour. So this morning I threw everything in a crock pot and 7 hours later my fam had this wonderful beef stew. A favorite & certainly nothing fancy but a good staple in our fall/winter menu. It was hearty, warm & satisfying. We served it with whole wheat bread & honey butter.
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I subsituted 1 T. beef granules for this)
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups beef broth (I used a little bit more)
3 potatoes, diced (I used red new potatoes)
4 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped

Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours. Resist the urge to peek inside. Only stir 15 minutes prior to serving.

1 comments:

Elder Logan Cottle said...

Thanks for the recipe. It looks amazing!!! I am going immediately to purchase the ingredients to make that for Sunday dinner although it would sure be yummy today on the cold and dreary day. You are the best!!!!! You are pretty much Emeril you know.