Things are swirling in my head at such a pace that I feel a bit discombobulated and alot ADD.
I have posts I want to do on highlights of 2007, goals, notes to my kids, ideas & dreams I have for me and our family, things I want to create this next year. Later...
Because I still have Christmas on the brain.
Weird. Even the decorations are mostly down. But I still feel the yearning for the season. (and this red font feels like it's burning your retinas, like searing hot liquid magma, eh?)
Time just flies and there isn't enough hours in the day to do it all. Maybe that's why I feel the yearn. Either that or I'm seriously ill.
Here are some notes to self and to do lists I have for myself for next year's Christmas and beyond.
Christmas cards: Do early. Think up design in early November. Thanksgiving weekend make it a tradition to take photo. As soon as possible after photo taking, jot a little note about our year. Make it funny and embellish on all our accomplishments.
Traditions: Keep the ones I like. Don't do the ones I don't like. Add a new one just to try it out. Ooohhh. Like the one about being on a cruise for Christmas. I'll keep an open mind about that one, for sure.
Neighbor gifts: even though the trend is to steer away from this, and the expense can be rather great, keep doing it. These are some of the most important people in our lives. I want them to know I love and appreciate them. And that I'm real sorry our dog keeps peeing on their lawn and that our teenagers stay up real late. Deliver those neighbor gifts early.
Gift-giving: Keeping it simple really does allow the children to savor the things they get. We stuck with: book, movie, toy, clothing item. Will do it again. Even if we win the lottery or Jeremy's book gets published or Lindz gets the recording contract.
Staying home more during the holidays: This is a new one for us. We have generally been overbooked at the holiday season with parties, gatherings, performances, etc. This year we weren't and we spent alot more time together. This was either good or bad depending on if you are 17 or if you are 5 years old.
Handmade gifts: Love making things for others. Start early. Finish early. Be generous. Kids are homemade gifts too. Consider giving a teenager away for a weekend.
Planning: I'm fairly spontaneous: like when I spontaneously decide not to do any laundry for 6 days straight or spontaneity strikes about Cafe Rio being the place for dinner.....But, I like to plan, too. Planning comes pretty naturally to me. This year I was a frazzled mess. Partly due to stress, partly due to not planning. Note to self: Plan menus, gifts, outings, money, time, etc. better.
I realize there is medication for this insanity. But I like it. I like my anti-grinchness, the mistletoe madness, my ho-ho-ho heroic holiday happenings, my Christmas chaos, antler antics, the yuletide breakdown I almost have every year. It's candy-cane-licious. And when I talk to my kids-they say they totally love it. In a totally "I believe " sort of way.
And my hubby? Well, he is all in too. Who else would ask for a Santa Suit in our fourth year of marriage.
Ok. I'm done.
1/3/08
Christmas Future
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I hear ya! I have already begun getting ready for the 2008 holiday season! I even have planned out our neighbor gifts and exactly what day they are getting them. I think that my New Year's resolution to be more organized is the main reason.
Actually, I guess the main idea is to keep this feeling all year through.
Christmas went well for me until the last week - then everything seemed to spin out of control - i've got to plan better, too.
great tips.
thanks
Post a Comment