update: I called the authorities and gave them the info I had. When I woke up this morning. I knew I had to.
Emma & I were out running errands yesterday when we drove through a local Burger King to get some chicken fingers. Once we got our little snack, we realized we needed to go inside to use their facilities.
We did our business & got back into the car and I noticed a car turning into the parking stall next to me. A young mom got out with the middle of three daughters and went inside BK leaving the older one (maybe 8yrs) and the baby (maybe 16 mths) inside the car.
Waiting for Emma to buckle up & secure her drink, I looked over and saw the older girl VIOLENTLY shaking the baby's head while in her car seat. I opened my door to get a better look because honestly I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was like she was shaking a rag doll. I got a better look and as she started into again I knocked furiously on the window and yelled STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!
It made me sick to my stomach to see that baby. Crying, tear-stained face, scared, hurting.
The girl did stop and retreated to the corner of the seat with her head turned away from me.
I watched for 5 minutes, realizing the girl was safe for NOW. I contemplated what in the world to do. If this was an adult I would have called the police right then and there. But a kid?
We then entered the store where I flagged down the mom and told her what I had seen. She said she didn't understand english very well. The manager had overheard my rant and helped translate to the woman what I was saying and expressed a few of his concerns as well. She ran to the car to get the baby, showed a general concern for the problem and was apologetic. I explained that I was not going to forget that this had happened and that she had BETTER protect that baby.
I got her name, license plate and memorized her face.
I feel like I should have done more, could have done more......
And today I can't get the image of that baby out of my mind.
2/16/08
What would you do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
i think you did good. but as a teacher, as someone who's required to report abuse - i'm not sure i wouldn't have called the police. even if it was a kid. if that mom feels that child is old enough to leave her in the car babysitting (she wasn't) then she's old enough to be held responsible for not abusing the baby. and that mom needs at least a good scare on her parenting & her older child!!! people get away with way too much, i think!!! scary!
I'm with Hayley! I do think what you did what Right on but leaving even an 8 year old in the car is wrong.
I also feel so bad for that 8 year old. She must harbor such hate for that baby.
that whole experience is so Sad, for them AND for you and Emma!
good for you! and I completely agree with Hayley. and calling the police would have scared the 8 yr old as well. hopefully enough to never do it again
What an awful experience Suz! I am so sorry that happened. I am certain that you put a good scare into that 8 year old and her mother! You have to put your trust in that mother to protect her baby as hard as that may be. Do not beat yourself up about not calling the police. I think that mother got the message loud and clear that one of her children is endangering the life of her other child and needs help. If she doesn't now, she wouldn't have even if the police would have been involved. You could still call someone if it continues to bother you.
Love ya
Ann
Oh dear. This made me sick. I just had my husband (the psychologist who works with abused kids right now) read it and he absolutely recommends that you call the DCFS hotline (281-5151) and report what you saw. They can determine what to do at that point (most likely meeting with the family and educating the little girl on the dangers of her behavior).
So scary. I'm proud of you for what you did to help. Thank goodness you were there--you might have saved the baby's life.
I think you should call DCFS too. Let me handle it!
Good for you for taking such a stand. It was good for Emma to see you taking such a stand...most people would be afraid to do something.
That is so scary! I would have been torn about whether to call someone too. I am always scared about injecting myself in situations. I don't blame you for not being able to get that baby out of your mind!
What a horrible thing to see (or to happen at all). I'm glad you called the police. What really makes me sad about the story though is that if an 8 year old can treat a baby that way I have to wonder how the 8 year old is treated by her parents.
It's so sad the things that happen in this world. I'm glad you had the courage to do something about it.
Oh Suzie ~ how awful, I wonder if the 8 year old had seen that behavior somewhere (at home). I am so glad that you did get involved. My worry now is whether or not the mother will take it seriously.
Post a Comment