5/1/08

Eli Week.Part 2: The News.

I had told Jeremy on the way from church what might be happening. He was, of course, concerned but such an optimist! When I arrived home I went straight upstairs. He waited for me anxiously and when I emerged from the bathroom we hugged and stayed like that for a few minutes. Jer & I knelt in prayer at that moment, aside our bed, asking for guidance for us and safety for this little one.

We put in an emergency call to my OB's answering service and they returned the call immediately. I explained the details but was uncertain as to how serious it was. I just didn't know. I wasn't leaking fluid anymore. And for what I thought was my water breaking, I wasn't certain that it had. It didn't seem like much fluid. The nurse did tell me that pregnant women leak fluid from time to time, and if it had subsided, it may be nothing. But if it was, indeed amniotic fluid, there was nothing the hospital could do this early in the pregnancy.

We scheduled an ultrasound for the next morning, and after detailed instructions as to care for the rest of the night, hung up the phone feeling fairly helpless.

note from me: The whole Eli experience was extremely spiritual. I am pouring out my heart here, and including many details, but certainly not everything that happened.
Spiritual gifts & miracles that transpired during that time were plentiful. I also have many that are far too precious to share. With that being said, there are a few I feel appropriate for sharing. And seriously. What would this story be without the powers of heaven being part of it.

We hung up the phone, stared at each other not really knowing what to do next. I got tucked into bed where I would stay put until our morning appointment. Jer got the kids dinner (I'm pretty sure!) and put them to bed. Before turning in, he desired to give me a priesthood blessing. During that time of the heartfelt and pleading prayer, I felt a peace come over me, but also a feeling that I was to be prepared and faithful. A whispering from a loving Father, that yes. Something was amiss.

I awoke early after a fairly restful night, feeling weary & anxious. I checked the moment I woke up to see if more fluid had passed, it hadn't.
We arrived at the appointment nervous, but hopeful. As I sat in the waiting room, I couldn't help glancing around at all the other mothers awaiting their own ultrasounds. They had video tapes in hand, toting bored hubby's and fussy toddlers. I handed out fake smiles as I tried to be excited about getting a look at our baby.
After only a few minutes we were called back.

I prepared myself for the ultrasound and received a generous squirt of goo on my tummy. The doctor had planned on being there but was running late so the tech went ahead and got started. We could tell immediately that he saw trouble. He was uncomfortably shifting in his stance and stammering in his sentences. He left the room in a hurry, as Jer sat clutching my hand and staring at the screen in the dark room.

The door swung open and Dr. Jeffrey Barton walked in. Now let me just say, that even before this whole experience, I loved my OB! He makes quite an entrance. He's 6 foot 5 and has a commanding presence, but is one of the most gentle, sincere & smart men we've ever known.
He reapplied some warmed-up goo (pampered) and went to his business, finding out what was going on with our baby. He explained in a direct & honest way, that although our baby was healthy & developmentally sound, the membranes had collapsed around him and he was in trouble.
We followed him to his exam room where he took a culture of the trickle of fluid and confirmed that it was indeed, precious amniotic fluid. He then told us in a consolatory way, that our baby probably only had days to live.

The lump in my throat & scattered feeling in the pit of my stomach paled in comparison to the aching in my heart. We drove home that morning, numb, sad & preparing ourselves for the week ahead.
Little did we know....

11 comments:

Pedaling said...

to have this news at any stage of pregnancy is hard, but further along like this, oh so very difficult.

tiburon said...

Suzie I am waiting on pins and needles for your next entry. I have goosebumps. Lots of them.

Becky, yep said...

Um...no words...just love...and prayers of my own

Ashley McKinnon said...

I had no idea! I'm so glad you shared. Thanks!
(Hug)

Spin said...

I am just reading this with appreciation for you.

Amber said...

It really goes to show how tender and full of love and mercy our Heavenly Father is. At our most difficult times, if we are listening, He sends so many spiitual blessings.
Thank you for sharing some of them with us.

100 Percent Cottam said...

oh, the cliffhangers! i'm on pins and needles!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I am in tears, I relate in many ways. This is hard to read because it hits home for me. You are such a great writer, I am so thankful that you have chosen to write this.

Judi said...

I just can't even imagine...
I am glad you are sharing this though, sometimes what you share passes on some of the spirit and blessings you recievd to others, I am thankful to you for this little bit of 'lift' Suzie, I really need it this week! Thanks

ps-your right about the video on Twilight, I don't know who putit all together, but it sure has me excited. We should get a bunch of "fanpires" and go on opening day!!

Mindi said...

btw eli was always one of my "boy" names. 4 girls prevented me from ever getting that chance...:)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing.
Had no idea.