5/19/08

Monday Memory



The previous post of our Daddy/Daughter Activity brought back a good 'ol memory of my own Daddy/Daughter Date when I was about 11 years old. (Merrie Miss age, right?)

It was some sort of birthday celebration and it was held at the church. When I got the invitation from my diligent-beyond-the-call-of-duty Primary teacher, I knew I was in big trouble.

Here's the trouble. My dad didn't like church.

He was a fairly spiritual person, but rarely stepped foot in a church. He was a non-member but supported his wife (my mom was a member) and children (who were all baptized at age 8) and was up for anything when it came to making his girls happy.

So. That night after my teacher dropped off the invite, I set it on the table at the place where my dad sat and waited patiently until after dinner. He liked teasing (nicely) and played coy with me all night long. When he tucked me in that night he pulled it out of his pocket and said, "you dropped this." I told him it was no big deal and we didn't have to go. I won't ever forget what he said to me. Suzie Q, I would be honored to be your date at that party.

The afternoon my mom made sure my favorite shirt was clean and I waited 'til my dad came home from work. He then shaved and got into some groovy clothes and we took off.

The night was fun, a little boring for an inactive tomboy and a fun dad who spent most of their time together playing catch and fishing. We played some games, ate some ice cream, made and wore ridiculous birthday hats & posed for a photo in front of a decorated birthday cake that never got served. (weird)

But I was glad we went. Especially because I got to show off the cutest, coolest dad in the neighborhood.

9 comments:

The Hendricks Family said...

What a fun memory you have with your dad.

100 Percent Cottam said...

what a SWEET story. i love it.

hoLLy said...

what a sweet dad!!! and how funny that they didn't serve the cake(and mean actually:).

Pedaling said...

even if the party was lacking in areas- you ended up with a sweet memorie to cherish and the cutest picture ever ot you and your daddy!

September said...

That is so sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Amber said...

Dads are the best!

Spin said...

that is a great memory. and what a wonderful pic to have
my memory of a similiar event is somewhat different so if you dont mind i'll adopt your story

Mindi said...

now i am gonna go dig out my picture i have with my dad that i swear is just like that, only no cake. we are standing up against the white cinder block wall and everything....crazy!!

your dad was a stand up guy.

Judi said...

I LOVED daddy/daughter dates.
Why doesn't anyone ever do any mommy/son things for those without any co-femininity(sp?) in the house?