
As a parent every once in a while I panic with the state of the world the way it is and sending my children out in it everyday knowing what they are exposed to.
Recently I've experienced that awful feeling of doom. It's felt like our family could be a sinking ship of sorts. It wasn't brought on by anything specific or personal to our family, just a reaction of awful things happening around the world and right in my city.
Just a few moments of faithlessness, followed by some news of some good kids in trouble, a phone call by a frantic mom with a son having problems and catching up with an old friend having some severe issues with her husband. These are all good families, with incredible testimonies and faith. These are families doing the right things. The best things.
And I was flooded with emotion. I have trembled with fear. I have been overcome with the concern for this generation and the ones after.
I have felt so helpless.
I have felt so hopeless.
Knowing that the war for morality and righteousness is being fought, won, & lost all around me.
I instantly wanted to gather my kids up and tell them of the danger, that so-and-so did this, and this is happening here and sort of scare them into making the right choices. To tell them I was for now on going to homeschool them and they couldn't leave home.
I have given myself a little pretend slap across my face and reminded my self of the promises I have been given for my family. Tremendous, wondrous, eternal promises.
I remembered that the Gospel was enough. That all that I needed to fight this immorality and fear was already given to me & the world.
All I need to do is keep on keepin' on. To continue doing better and teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my home by example and by His word. And the rest would take care of itself. I had to remember that yes, the good will fall, but that there is hope for all through the Savior, Jesus Christ. And a loving Father in Heaven wants nothing more than for my family to succeed.
And the fear did subside, gratitude filled my soul and I've carried a prayer of thanks in my heart.


9 comments:
I really liked this post, you must be the best mom, what lucky kids you got.
I can so relate to this post. It's easy to worry, to want to do all those things, i understand and I am glad that
really, like you wrote there is hope..
Can I just keep my kids the age they are now? It truly scares me to think about what they will face as they grow. But thanks for the reminder to remember what it truly important.
I hear you! I have been bothered and plagued by this too. FANTASTIC post!
I have had very similiar feelings lately. Sometimes worry myself sick but then realize what we have is stronger than what the world offers so I put all my trust, faith, and hope in that and hope we all make it through
Thank you for the great reminder of some great promises.
such great thoughts! i have these worries, too, and my kids are still small. just have to keep on keeping on!
Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one who worries about this kind of stuff. When recently watching all the stuff on BYU TV about Pres. Hinckley, I distinctly remember one of his daughters (maybe it was his funeral-can't remember when) talking about how on earth she was going to teach her children and she thought of her parents and how they just "lived the gospel" and that brought me SO much comfort..Just trying to keep living the gospel daily so my kids will see my example... I have prayed for opportunities to even teach my grandchildren too and I am amazed at how stuff has come up where I can teach them simple things in the course of a normal conversation. (sheesh this was a long post-but thanks!)
I have to sub this week at church and this is right on with it! I choke up every time I think about this stuff. Unfortunately, it is wayyyy too often. Thank you so much for your beautiful words.
Post a Comment