5/7/08

Eli Week. Part 5: The Apex

On a Thursday I was about 23 weeks pregnant. Our baby was still living, against most odds, and although weary, we thanked the Lord daily!

We knew we were living a miracle.



Part of this story is of my tenderhearted hubby. He struggled with the emotional toll as much as I did. Was so excited for this baby and took the news hard. Through it all he was my rock. My constant "glass is 1/2 full" best friend. He valued and made special every single day we had with Eli and pampered me with love & service.

We had another appointment with the doc that week and talked about what would happen at the 24 week mark when the baby was considered viable. Dr. Barton said by the next week he would see me one last time and then call LDS hospital to get me a bed.

That weekend I packed a bag for the hospital and began making arrangements for after school care for my three children for a possible lengthy stay.
As I packed jammies & other necessities for me, I came across a bag stashed in my closet. I remember staring down the few newborn items I had purchased very early on in my pregnancy that I had pulled out of the bag.
A white blanket and little matching soft cotton sleeper. A package of newborn diapers. Burp cloths. Sockies.
Do I pack them?
I finished packing my things. Put the baby stuff in a separate bag and placed it in the corner of my bedroom, showed it to Jeremy and hoped I would have to request for it to be brought to the hospital.
Sunday evening I wasn't feeling very well at all. I had a headache & was just so, so sleepy. Monday morning came and I could not even sit up. Jer took the morning off and got the kids to school and said good bye for a few hours of work in town.

I vaguely remember that morning. By afternoon I had felt good enough to at least sit up in bed. My back was hurting from what I thought was all the sleep I had that day and tried to position myself more comfortably. I could not get comfortable. Should have been a sign after three other labors, but this felt different.
When I got up to use the bathroom late that afternoon I realized that I was indeed in labor. In fact, this baby was on it's way out!
We nervously called Dr Barton's office and told them what was happening. They advised me to get to the hospital quick, a team would be waiting. Since the baby was on his way out, they also suggested to travel on all fours with my head as low as possible. I did this in the front passenger seat, with Jeremy talking me through it the whole way, and me all the while praying.

We arrived and in a rush got me into an exam room. The ultrasound machine was brought it and the Doctor took a look. I'll never forget the look in his eyes when he said shaking his head with a smile, "There's a heartbeat!"

He also told us that the baby was in a terrible position-high in the birth canal, twisted in such a way that a vaginal birth would be awfully traumatic. He told us that a C section was an option but would have to do a transverse incision and gave us some details about that. Of course we said YES! Let's do it!

The next 6 minutes was a blur to me, prepping me for OR and talking to Jeremy and Dr Barton about the what-ifs. There would be a helicopter standing by for transport if we had a baby for the doctors to work on. I would be put under as soon as we could and the baby would be out right after that.
I exchanged words with Jeremy, watched him change into sterile clothing and said hello to the anesthesiologist. The last thing I remember was breathing deep from the mask put over my mouth and nose and counting to 11.

11 comments:

September said...

The love of a mother is nothing short of a miracle in the best of circumstances. The love that can be heard behind your voice for your baby Eli is truly awe-inspiring.

I don't think I would've survived this long. I would've driven myself and Spencer crazy by this point.

September said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pedaling said...

very beautifully written-and not the course I would have predicted

Laurie Meredith said...

Suzie, I've been anxiously checking your blog every day for the continued story of Eli. Even though I know how it ends, I keep hoping for Eli, that he will somehow make it. Thanks for sharing such a personal experience. Whether it's the loss of a child, or the child that is never conceived (as in our case) the loss is devastating. Sure miss you.

Christina said...

This is not what I was expecting. What a fighter Eli was! I'm all teary again this morning. Thank you, Suzie.

Mindi said...

i'm with laurie--isn't it funny that, even though i know the outcome is not what i want, i keep hoping that somehow you will rewrite it with a happier ending.

thanks again

Smith Family said...

Suzie- I have been hooked on your story. I know it doesn't end happy but don't know the whole story. It has been a great opportunity to get to know you more. I'm sorry you had to go through all of this, thank you for being courageous and sharing your story!

Spin said...

wow. that's all I can say right now.

100 Percent Cottam said...

oh my gravy.

Unknown said...

Very admirable that you can actually sit and write this all down and remember such details. You'll be glad you did. Thanks for sharing.

Natalie Kay said...

As you know I have been reading this story all week. I am deeply sorry for the sorrow you have felt, but can tell from reading this blog that this experience has not only touched your life, but all of ours as well.