9/23/08

Love At Home




Most days, (seriously the majority) my kids get along fabulously. Despite their age differences they are pretty good friends.




Except very recently.




The other night I gathered them together and told them I expected them to support one another, be positive & friendly, and even loving.


They promised to do better, but I sensed a bit of sarcasm in their promises, a lack of sincerity with a sprinkle of obnoxious.




So.



I told them to book out the next 10 minutes and meet me in the family room for a little talk.


I asked them to share with one another something positive, a remark or two that would boost that sibling's mood & overall bring more love & unity in our home.




At the end of the ten minutes I was telling myself that I had asked for it.




L to H : "I really like the arch in your foot"


H to K : "I like your muscles"


K to L: "You really don't smell too bad"


L to K: "You have a nice nose"


H to Mom: "Thanks for buying twisty ties"


H to L: "I really like that you have 2 eyebrows. Looks good."


K to H: "Good nostrils"
.
Ended in a fit of giggles.
.
Lesson over.

14 comments:

Christina said...

Oh those funny kids. This is one thing I've really been thinking about lately- how do I make sure my kids are friends? I'm sure if I follow your lead I'll do just fine. And congrats on your new teaching assistant gig! I felt the same way when I was teaching- it's so hard seeing the family stresses that kids endure.

Mindi said...

suzie, your kids RULE. really.

love that photo maybe the best of any ever posted--

Pedaling said...

do your children know that they're daily lives and happenings are the source of teaching and ideas and example of how to raise these twerps out in bloggyland?
sounds like, problem solved!

by the way i awarded you, if you already have this award, just take note, read and move on and know that i second it all.

Laurie Meredith said...

Such a wise mom. Sounds like they didn't take it seriously, but you accomplished your mission anyway. They are all so quick witted.

Tiffany said...

I love your kids, because they are kindred spirits. I'd like to give them all a noogie.

rachel said...

your kids crack me up! at least it ended in laughter....mission accomplished.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love that picture, so much personality goin' on there...the good and the bad. ;)

Spin said...

i had a feeling thats where that was going to end up. and look how good it ended!

Amber said...

Perfect!

It ended in laughter that a lecture would never bring.

Judi said...

I hope my kids grow up to just like yours!

Anonymous said...

Wow kids those are some vey deep and well thought out compliments! I know how hard it is to say something nice sometimes...good job :)
Annie

Pedaling said...

oops, sorry, i guess i forgot to mention your award- i'm getting bad at these tags and award thingy's lately- sorry, and congratulations!

tiburon said...

That is a crack up!! Your kids sound FUNNNNNNNY. I guess the apple really doesn't fall too far from the tree ;)

Misty said...

So funny. Isn't it great to have siblings?!